THE BOYFRIEND ARCHER


Some patterns move through the blogging world like zombies, collecting and converting skeptics into devoted enthusiasts. With glazed eyes and scissors in hand you'll find us wandering the internet's streets moaning "aaaaaarcher. must cut another aaaaaaarcher."

Yes, it's Grainline's Archer Shirt. Consider me bitten.


The Archer has been on my to do list after seeing what felt like a million complimentary reviews and glamorous renditions (e.g. Ping, Nette, Amy, Sallie Oh, Yoshimi, and Emily). And it seems like I wasn't the only one eyeing off Archer; Rochelle & Erin have gone ahead and made December the Archer Appreciate Month. I can't wait to see more variations throughout the month! 



The Idea 
I wanted to make my very own boyfriend shirt and embrace those delicious details I love so much on shirts I steal from my boyfriend's half of the closet. A classic and comfortable fit, button down collar, contrast details, and pocket tabs.

ETA: I've posted a tutorial for the pocket tabs, see here x



The Pattern
The Archer's praise is, in my opinion, completely deserved. The design is well thought out, the notches match, and the fit is lovely. I cut a size 4 grading out to an 8 in the hips (yes I have that much junk in the trunk) and made no other alterations. 

I will mention this pattern is long. I am tall (5"10) and didn't have to lengthen anything. The arms are the perfect length (see last picture) and I might even shorten the front a centimetre or two.

There's been complaints about the fit of the shoulders being too wide, but my seams fit perfectly on the 'corner' of my shoulders. I wonder if that's because I use my high bust measurement instead of my full bust measurement (see Sunni's post for why I do that), or because I have ginormous man shoulders and never realised. The relaxed fit meant that I didn't have to do an FBA (woohoo!). 


The deets
The pattern: Grainline Archer 
Fabric: A 'silk spun' bamboo from Bamboo Fabric Store. It's drapey, cool, soft, and washes like cotton. 
Notions: I used Megan's tutorial for machine sewing buttons without a special foot for the 10 normal and 2 smaller buttons. Speaking of tutorials I also used Andrea's for attaching the collar. That girl is onto something. 
Next time: I'll use bias binding on the hem as I think it will work nicer with the curves. I also have plans for a ¾, collarless version and a warm, flannel version. 
Worn with: My Jenna Skirt

^ Here's a quick picture with the sleeves down & buttons up. I can't wait until it's cool enough to wear it like this! ^

24 love notes:

  1. Aack! So good, I love it! I have 5 Archers planned right now, better get on it :) It is a great pattern, I made no changes except to lengthen the arms 1/2" (I have monkey arms). I love the contrast details on yours, and I think you're onto something using bias binding on the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Gorgeous Archer! I adore all of your details - and thanks for the prompt, consider me on the Archer Appreciation wagon as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tabs and that little peak of colour on the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect! Makes me want a navy one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that contrast colour is freaking amazing! You are so clever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shirt.I would love to make tabs for the sleevs to be held when folded as well. In the contrst cloth. - Diya TheHobbyHarbor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the contrast collar and pocket tabs. Your main fabric looks lovely too. I have too many other projects on the go to join in, not to mention hurting my back and so can't cut anything out at the mo. But I will be checking in to see what other lovelies are made with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Tamsin, there are always so many great sewing challenges & patterns I feel like I could never do them all!

      Delete
  8. I love all those contrasting details, especially the pocket tabs. Beautiful work! Seeing beautiful Archers like yours has me itching to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your version! i'm definitely team archer and have made several myself! such a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful...love the contrasting details

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dreamy, love all the details and props to you for figuring out all the little details of photoshop or Illustrator or whatever you're using for that 'idea' graphic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illustrator! I'm a great big Illustrator fan :D

      Delete
  12. Dude, I worship your coolness! This Archer is seriously amazing, with all the cool little details you've added. And your styling is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so gorgeous! I love all the little details you've added! I have a plaid RTW shirt with blue chambray details and have always admired that bit of contrast-- I'll have to take a page from your book with my next Archer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness!! All those glorious, thoughtful, special details!! On one of my favorite patterns?! I die! You nailed it. As always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO adorable. I love the two tones of blue together, and pretty much everything else about it. :) Thanks for the shout out; I'm definitely appreciating Archer this month as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great shirt! The details are so well done. I wish I could pop into a store and buy it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect styling, perfect shirt, and perfect first shirt for ArcherAppreciationMonth! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the link RL!! Much appreciated. I bloody love this pattern soooo much. Your version is beautiful, I love it all done up. I'm working on a sleeveless at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a totally awesome idea! This looks gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great Archer. Just love the little contrasts too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x