THE BIRTHDAY GEORGIA DRESS

It's my party, and I'll be fan-fucking-fabulous if I want to. 


If you follow my Instagram you would have seen this coming. How could you not? This fabric, an Italian stretch cotton from Tessuti, is radioactive in the best possible way. I splurged on it a little over a year ago and have been waiting for the perfect pattern ever since.


The Pattern
My my, what a beauty. I know I've been a bit gushy recently, praising every pattern that's popped up, but I want you to know my affection is genuine. By Hand London's Georgia is easier to make than its tailored shape and multiple pieces would have you believe. That is partly due to a great pattern (well designed, clear instructions, and matching notches), and partly because BHL's designs fit my shape & require minimal,  if any, alterations. They just get me, you know?

I cut a US6/UK10 in the bust and a US8/UK12 everywhere else. I took a further 6cm from the bust & ribs, perhaps because of the fabric's stretch, the pattern sizing, or not wearing a bra (probably not the latter as I used my high bust measurement).

For an authentic bombshell fit I could have taken it in all over, but I wanted something to wear to dinner without having to don spanx. Wow, that is the oldest sentence to appear on this blog. Soon I'll be talking about whipping up a pouch for my dentures.

I also tapered in the bottom because I think that's pretty bombshell-a-licious. (See, I'm still young! I'm relevant!)



Suggestions for making your own
  • Cut the bodice lining a touch smaller (~⅛" around edges) to help the shell roll & stop the lining from peeking out 
  • Under stitch the bodice lining (as suggested by sew busy lizzy)
  • If you want to go bra-less and are working with a less stable fabric, you could add a layer of wadding to the bodice pieces. For even more structure, add boning
  • The centre front of my bodice is a little twisted, even with stay stitching the pieces. Next time I'll add twill tape to help it keep its shape. Although the wadding, if using, might help.
  • My straps didn't want to stay pressed so I top stitched them & now I like the look. Also, if you're concerned about the under strap's fabric poking out (say, if you're using the a different fabric), cut them a touch smaller to help the upper fabric roll over (just like the bodice lining). 


So there you have it! The bombshell birthday dress. Named because, yes, I wore it to my birthday dinner. It was a day of bushwalking & blue cheese, and then a night of indulging at a ladies only surprise dinner that was so much fun that I woke up sore from smiling. I also woke with a sore head, which is bullshit. If there's one day you should be able to look like a vixen and indulge in champagne and cake without consequence, it's your birthday.

The deets
The pattern: By Hand London Georgia
Fabric: Italian stretch cotton from Tessuti - no longer available, but this one would be amazing
Notions: 1 regular zip - lapped. I like them better than invisible zips (what is suggested) and I think it helps the 60s bombshell vibe I was going for
Next time: As I said in the suggestions, I'd like to add wadding and stabilise the bust even though this fabric didn't really require it. I'd also love to try a version with cross over straps and an altered hemline
Worn with: Mimco shoes & champagne induced sass

42 love notes:

  1. Your new dress is just divine. I love the eyepopping colour and the workmanship is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful dress! ii t fits you like a dream, and i love how colorful the fabric is.. oh, and happy birthday, foxy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! You look so gorgeous. I thought Angelina Jolie took over your blog when I first looked at your post haha, Smokin hot!! Dress is amazing. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!!!!! Hope you had an amazing day!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH. You look banging, absoluely amazing! I'm going to taper in the skirt on my next Georgia too, for full bombshell shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roisin I was nearly considering calling this the "when I grow up I want to be Roison dress," as it was your incredible version that inspired me to make it!

      Delete
  5. Va va voom! Amazing fabric and an amazing dress. It fits you just perfectly. One day I may be brave enough to try this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible and that fabric is the frickin' bomb. The pattern was totally made for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! At the risk of sounding repetitive see above comments - completely agree! Lovely fit. I made my toile at the weekend and made the same alterations at the side bust and bottom. The bodice on mine fits, but the cup size and bust line comes up too high so perhaps I should try the same as you and go up a size and bring it in on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! Sew Busy Lizzy kind of gathered her bodice centre front, which not only looks pretty but might help to minimise the bust height. Maybe if you finish the dress and it's still a bit gapey you could try that? http://sewbusylizzy.com/2013/12/01/georgia-dress/

      P.S. Welcome to the blogging world :)

      Delete
  8. Pretty pretty birthday girl! You look radiant! I haven't decided what to fabric to use for my Georgia but now you're making me want to die dye something.... Will definitely refer back to this when I get started. Hope you had an amazing day my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIE DYE WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING! Do eeeet!

      Delete
    2. P.S. Considering you're already a total bombshell, I think you would look insane in this dress.

      Delete
  9. Damn girl!!! You look amazing! Happy birthday! I loooooove this fabric-- so glad it found such a happy partner in the Georgia pattern! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! What a knockout you are in this dress, so stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I'm just in love with your gorgeous Georgia!! You look absolutely stunning! Definitely a showstopper! And thanks for all the construction tips! Very useful, as my Georgia is next up in the queue! I've even been saving some super special Tessuti fabric for my dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be Georgia / Tessuti twinsies! :D

      Delete
  12. This is amazing! You look so great in it! I'm having some trouble fitting the bust of the Georgia on me at the minute but maybe I should try my high bust measurement instead...you may have solved all my problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fingers crossed - I hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  13. wow! this dress is pretty amazing. that fabric!!! love it to bits. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dress is fabulous and that hair! Oh my goodness it really suits you. Wish I could pull off cute flapper Downton Abbey hair like that! Would like a post on how you did the hair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate people that say this, but I didn't actually do anything to it! It's just 1 bobby pin + my usually temperamental hair on a good day. Brisbane gets pretty humid so for ~3 months of every year I just let my hair do its thing.

      Delete
  15. SO DAMNED PRETTY! Way to celebrate your birthday in style! I'd love to make a Georgia soon, so thanks for sharing your construction tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me love, me love, me absolutely LOVE!!
    The pattern, the fabric, the print, YOU!
    Just stunning!!!! Fantastic workmanship!
    My sister ordered my some BHL patterns, but they haven't arrived yet, chasing it up now, hopefully I will get them in time to do some holiday sewing! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phwoar! That's one of those dresses for which I struggle to find adequate words to compliment. It's just stunning. Oh, and happy hirthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy wow girl! You and the dress are the hotness. That fabric is so amaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg Omg OMG!! LOVE this dress. I had some of this fabric too but was kicking myself in the head for only buying a meter when I should have got enough for a dress like yours. When I went back - it was gone! Cue tears. But I'm so glad you got a decent amount because this is one KILLER birthday dress. Those bright reds and pinks look fabulous on you. You may have just made my day with this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely fabric, but obviously not as lovely as you! I have a teeny bit left, and am wondering if I can squeeze a mini skirt out of it.

      Delete
  20. Vavavoom! You look amazing. I have loved every Georgia I've seen made. It truly is so very sexy! I would never go for this silhouette, but now I am utterly convinced I can be a bombshell too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's an amazing dress. Very high impact. I love the fabric. Did you see Sally's version of this dress http://charityshopchic.net/2013/12/03/gorgeous-georgia/ ? Your alternate Tessuti fabric reminds me of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're totally right! Turns out it would look absolutely smashing!

      Delete
  22. Perfect use of the fabric!! You look sensational. Thanks for the tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love that your booty has its own mini galaxy. YOU LOOK AHMAZING, happy belated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's such a great dress for you, lovely work on it...hope your birthday celebrations were just as spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! Pretty, lady! the dress is beautiful! oh, also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning as always! That fabric is to die for. I'm in love with this pattern. It is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, my this looks stunning on you!!! Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This is stunning on you, the fabric is just perfect & the fit fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x