THE HARRIET SCOUT DRESS


ETA: The tutorial is now done! Get it here x

I don't usually share makes for friends on the blog (I pop them up here if you're interested!), but this dress is so loved that I wanted you to see it. Plus I like showing off how beautiful my friends are. 


My darling Harriet requested a few loose fitting t-shirt dresses, kind of like this but shorter & in linen. 

I used my Scout pattern & graded it to Harriet's measurements, and then altered it into this flowy but flattering dress. I'm going to draw up a tutorial because I think everyone should have a dress like this - it's easy, pretty, and comfy. You might wonder how I can vouch for its comfort so much. Well...



… I may have whipped up one for myself in silk. Oops.


Don't you think this would be adorable in a warm wool with leggings, booties, and Autumnal weather?

The deets 
The pattern: Altered grainline scout tee (tutorial coming soon)
Fabric: Blue/Grey - linen, Black - silk, both from the Fabric Store
Notions: None
Time to make: 3 - 3.5 hrs
Next time: It might be nice to try a longer sleeve, but I'm not sure how appropriate that is for our 30C+ days

P.S. If you want to scroll through my makes, or just see the slow process of my hair growing (ha!), check out my gallery of finished sewing projects.

17 love notes:

  1. Floaty. Flowing. Fantabulous! You have friends just as gorgeous as you - like attracts like, eh? Love the new makes, esp with your brightly coloured headband! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant adaptation - I love the back seam/pleats. Will be eagerly looking out for your tutorial, and at the ready with my own version as soon as possible after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both dresses are lovely - looking forward to your tutorial on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pattern hack! I love the back detail and black silk is a total wardrobe staple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, these are both super cute! You're a great friend, and you're right-- your friends are tres attractive! If I sewed stuff for my friends, I would probably force them to model as I'm evil like that... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the simplicity of this design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so prone to making a project for myself after I've made it for a friend - especially if the project turns out as well as your friend's dress! Both versions look great and super wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great. Looking forward to the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh. Matchy matchy! You both look amazing in this dress but you're both already freaking gorgeous anyway, I dig you no matter what you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this sort of dress. Is it called a 'smock' dress in some places? Not sure, you are Harriet are cutie patooties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're both gorgeous! Looks fabulously stylish & comfy - and loving your headscarf! Looking forward to your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. GAH! Love them both! And you totally got me with your little two-for-one deal at the end!! What a couple of lovely ladies in summery dress perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them both. They look like they'd be perfect for when it gets really hot and you don't want to wear anything that clings but still want to look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute, the dresses look so comfy but are still flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea! I just finished my first scout. I think a dress version would be awesome! You and your friend both look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these and am looking forward to your tute. The luxury of a silk dress must be explored!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loveeee your version! Especially with that cute hair scarf! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x