THE BASICS: COCOA HAZELNUT SPREAD


I like this spread better than Nutella. Bold claim? Yeah you bet your ass it is. There's a place in this world and my heart for nutella but this stuff, oh man this stuff. It's moreish, it's deep, it's nutty. That's why it's called 'cocoa hazelnut spread' and not 'homemade nutella.' Because there's a difference. And to me, it's an awesome difference. It makes you smack your lips. I like that. 


It's also super quick to make. On those mornings when I need a sweet hit and I simply can't face a bowl of cereal, I whip up some cocoa hazelnut spread to slather on my new roots' bread and top with bananas and honey. 

Treat yo' self.


Chocolate Hazelnut Spread - makes 1 small pot
Recipe Notes
* You will need a food processor to make this spread.
* I like to use unsweetened cocoa because then I can control how sweet the spread is. However if sweetened cocoa is all you've got on hand don't bother buying more - you might just want to adjust the amount of syrup you add.
* This recipe makes a small pot of nutella. If you would like more, just double (triple, whatever) the amounts.

Ingredients
50g hazelnuts
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Pinch salt
2 tbsp maple syrup

How to
Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).

Roast the hazelnuts in the top third of your oven ~20 minutes. You want them aromatic, but not burnt.

Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes. Rub the hazelnuts between your palms to remove as much of the skin as you can (you can be as pedantic or as lazy as you want for this step. As long as the bulk of the skin is gone, I'm happy).

Blitz hazelnuts in a food processor until they turn buttery (a few minutes). Add the remaining ingredients.

If you would like a more wet mixture, add a bit of grapeseed or coconut oil.

If your would like a more dry mixture (which should only happen if you've added too much oil), add some desiccated coconut or hazelnut meal.

11 love notes:

  1. I have a similar recipe I make and I just LOVE it. It's dessert on a spoon. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a whole jar of hazelnuts and been wondering what to do with them. Making THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to nom nom nom my computer screen. Can you please come over and make me some? IT'S ONLY A 14 HOUR FLIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made a double batch of this. It is amazingly delicious. I added less maple syrup because I'm going to spread it on the banana bread I just made. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brodie, you have made me exceptionally happy! SO glad you liked it! xo

      Delete
  5. Yummmm, Reana! I really need to make this!! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmm, this looks great. I love chocolate spread will definitely have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah thank you! Ive used your basis to create a coffee spread with almonds and milk - perfection

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x