THE AWKWARD SNOB


I'm aware that in the majority of photos on this blog I look rather stiff and am avoiding eye contact. I wonder if you think I'm a bit snobby. Or perhaps sneaky. Maybe I have some dark, delicious secret I'm not sharing? 

Nope. The unromantic truth is that I don't have O's natural skills, and that stiffness is just a result of my inner Ricky Bobby dialogue. 


I've been reading Rochelle's (ahem, award winningphotography tips & am feeling inspired to get some better poses & locations.


But the dress! Oh the dress! Do you like it? It's another addition to my everyday wardrobe. I think after a few more of these I should treat myself by sewing with sequins or faux fur, which will remind me why I love sewing with cotton. 

I don't even know with this one... Am I sleeping?


Speaking of, I think this is cotton. It was gifted to me by the Sophie who thrifted it from a town near my home town (what a coincidink!). It's medium weight with little woven symbols. The symbols are nautical themed but this dress feels a little more... Mexican? to me. I have no idea what Mexican is, I've never even been there, but it feels fun and festive and just plain right to drink a margarita in it. 

As I discovered when meeting with some other lovely bloggers, it also goes well with pizza and cider.

L-R: Sophie, Kat, Me, Jen, & Liz
Image stolen from Sophie's instagram. 

Can we just take a moment to notice how even for a photo I refused to put down my pizza? I'm a little piggy, yes, but it was delicious. As was the company. As is this dress.


The deets
The pattern: Bodice: in-progress sloper. Skirt: Butterick 2779, a 1960s A-Line pattern. I love this pattern & have used it multiple times. It's super simple, flattering, and has just a few darts and a zip. 
Fabric: Shell, cotton (?) gifted by Sophie. Lined with cotton voile 
Notions: 1 regular zip 
Next time: I'm still working on the sloper pattern for the bodice and have a few teeny adjustments, but I adore this dress. 

28 love notes:

  1. Damn I am JEALOUS of how well fitted the skirt is on your behind.
    I must come across as a total perve and creep today as this is the second comment I've made about the great fit on butts!!
    I'm the same, have no idea what to do with my hands, or my face. Might start wearing a mask in my photo to avoid 'derp' face.
    Great dress!! Looks so comfy to wear, yet the fit is elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha creep away girl! Just know I get a huge head when you do :)

      Delete
  2. Hehe love it! Fabric was perfect for you and yeah I have to agree it is totally mexican whatever that is. Fiesta fabric! Oh the photo/pose thing. I never know what to do with my hands, nor my face for that matter. I always get fish pout after a while. These are lovely though, great close up details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look stiff in photos too. Never mind I don't know what to do with my hands, I just don't know what to do with myself. Your dress looks fabulous. It fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks gorgeous on you and you look elegant not snobby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a lovely dress.. and i like the print too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous dress - the colour is great on you! I also don't know what to do with my hands - and I stare at the floor in my blog photos, because when I smile at an unmanned camera on timer, I look a bit crazy-in-the-eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I definitely get crazy-eyed after a while!

      Delete
  7. Very pretty dress! Haha I think I always look surly and distant, mostly because I'm worried the camera is about to fall off the damn cat pole (no tripod at Chez Tragic). The paradox is my love always makes me smile but takes shit shots of my clothes (and neglects to tell me about bad things like saggy boobs) so surly face it is for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress!! The fabric, the cut - everything. There are some mighty fine photos too - esp that 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just gorgeous! Definitely agree with the Mexican vibe - I think it's the colour combo. Lush photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! It fits so well! And don't think you're "treating" yourself with sequins. They are the devils sparkly playthings. TRUST ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR INSTAGRAM TEASE WAS AMAZING. Sorry, I had to yell that. I'm so excited to see what the outcome is!

      Delete
  11. The fit of the dress is really great and that fabric is just TOO cute for words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, what a happy dress! I love the red, and the print is super cool-- that Sophie! She's a winner! HOW do you get such a perfect fit with every garment?! Teach me your ways! And if someone wants to teach me how to take non-awkward photos, well, that would be awesome, too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell no, I wouldn't drop the pizza either! ;)

    The fit for this is so spot on! Can you help me whenever I need fitting advice? Like move into my sewing room and help me? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be your little fitting gnome! I'll hide in the draw under the fabric scraps... Haha fitting takes me forever because it's so important to me. RTW hardly ever fit & it's the main reason I started sewing.

      Delete
  14. It's funny how you think you look awkward in photos because I always love your photos and think man I wish I took photos as well as hers. I love this dress! Perfect for pizza and cider. We should do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you take gorgeous photos!! And I'm completely in love with this dress. Total warm weather perfection. That woven print is just too darling! What a great gift!! Also, looks like you ladies had a stellar time with your pizza and cider.... jealous....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always feel awkward posing for blog pictures. It doesn't come naturally to me. The dress is really beautiful. I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that i have have seen this dress in person! It is so pretty and well fitted. You always look lovely in your pics, I always feel awkward cos I do them myself. We should have another meetup again soon, in fact maybe make it a regular thing?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's gorgeous and the fit is so perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love a tailored dress. Perfection in red.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely pattern and fabric - you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress looks fabulous! Simple yet very beautiful - must be the perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x