1 PATTERN, 7 BLOGGERS - THE REVEAL


It's the 1 Pattern, 7 Bloggers reveal day - woohoo! I am busting to see what everyone else made, but first here is a little Macaron love from me to you.


The Pattern & Alterations
This dress is the love child of a saucy three way between Colette Patterns' Macaron, By Hand London's Charlotte skirt, and my own frankensteining. Let's break it down. 

The 'Bodice'
The first thing you might notice is that I altered the pattern so there's no waist seam. However the top half, or faux-bodice, has some of my favourite Macaron elements: the double bust darts, sweetheart neckline, and high front yoke.

My intention for the dress was a kind of feminine tuxedo. Sleek silhouette, dark main colour with a white 'undershirt,' and the back yoke opens like the lapels on a shirt. I didn't discuss this in my inspiration post because in-real-life reactions have been mixed. I thought it was pretty cool, and even apparent when pointed out, but I'd love to know what you think!

I stabilised the sweetheart neckline and zip with stabilising tape and they are stable yo. There will be no wardrobe malfunctions from this girl thankyouverymuch.


The 'Skirt'
As I said I wanted a sleeker silhouette so, with some serious math and drafting (oy vey) I joined the Macaron bodice with the Charlotte skirt. Regular Reana Louise Readers (say that 10 times) know I love (love) the Charlotte skirt and I think it really works with the Macaron bodice to create a flattering shape. 



The Fabric
The shell is a stretchy, jersey, umm.... shit. I've forgotten. But it's kind of like a thick, spongey jersey. The yoke is white silk organza. Both from The Fabric Store.

Notions
1 regular zip, 1 hook and eye clip


If I Made it Again
As I said in the inspiration post, this poor dress was forced through my busted machines the morning of Harriet's wedding. As a result some of the seams and finishes are a bit messy but ah well. I'll only wear it to places I know people are going to be too drunk to inspect my seams. Not that anyone would inspect my seams except for you guys, so... be gentle Ok?

Second I would probably raise the back just a touch as it's currently too low to wear with a standard strapless bra. This leaves 2 options: wear my U-Bra, which is about as comfortable as doing one of those freakish 2 minute I'm-a-starfish yoga sit-ups, or go braless. I think we all know what wins that battle, but it would be nice to wear a bra so my ladies have support. We all need it.

The Others
Don't forget to see what everyone else made! I'm so excited!

Top l-r: Sam from Buckingham Road / Amy from Sewing Through the Motions / Jen from Jennifer Lauren Vintage 
Bottom l-r: Marie from A Stitching Odyssey / Kat from Petticoats & Peplums / Rachel from My Messings  

Winners Winners Chicken Dinners! 
Ok enough about me, what about YOU!? Here are the winners for the epic giveaway: 

Lill - Macaron Pattern from Colette Patterns
Josephine - Macaron Pattern from Guthrie & Ghanie 
Macinic - Macaron Pattern from Stitch 56
Elizabeth - Pattern of your choice from Sew Squirrel
Kathleen S - Colette Pattern of your from Indie Stitches 
Joanne - Colette Pattern of your choice from The Haby Goddess
Amy - $20 gift voucher from Fabric Worm 
Sew Charleston - $30 gift voucher from A Fashionable Stitch 

If you're a winner, keep an eye on your inbox :) 


A great, big, fat, stitched-with-love thank you to all of the incredible sponsors who donated to the 1 Pattern, 7 Bloggers challenge, the lovely ladies who invited me to be a part of this, and you guys for making it to the end of this mammoth post and generally hanging out with me. 

69 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, this is gorgeous! And I LOVE that lapel-esque back - so unique. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elena! So glad online people get it :D Also, your saltspring dress is sooo beautiful x

      Delete
  2. WOW! just wow wow wow wow! your version is GORGEOUS!!! amazing job!! It's been great teaming up with you on this project as we..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Rachel! I'm totally in love with yours, but I think you know that from my totally gushy comment haha! x

      Delete
  3. ooh love it! i totally get the tuxedo thing! i am hoping i am the joanne that won one of the prizes (probably not, it's a common name!) but even if not i have found some great blogs to follow and some new pattern altering inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! Hmmm I'm not sure - keep an eye on your inbox just in case :D And I'm so glad you get the tuxedo thing! x

      Delete
  4. Oh it's dreamy!! I simply adore this rendition on you... especially the no-waist seam and the fold over back detail. Looking absolutely smokin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw shux Melanie, thank you! I admit there were a few curse words in the merging of the patterns, so I'm really happy it worked out! x

      Delete
  5. Wow!! It turned out sooooo nice! Love it! The fit is awesome and the back...marvelous!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo It's gorgeous, it looks so chic on you! I love your inspiration behind it and I do like the back of the dress, but I'd have been interested to see how the same thing would have looked had it been done on the front, but thats just me, it's still lovely regardless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be cool too Sarah, and perhaps a bit more obviously tux-y?

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous dress!!! So pretty on you. Regardless of all the issues you think it has it really is an amazing dress. The foldover in the back is a really cool detail. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look absolutely stunning. What a super flattering version you've made. The fitted skirt is such a great change for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shux you! Still not as cute as that little Mister you made ;) x

      Delete
  9. You my friend are an absolute genius! What a clever pattern combination with the Charlotte skirt. And that back opening is just the right mix of sexy yet subtle. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh stop it! Your peplum is gorgeous, as (of course!) is the fabric x

      Delete
  10. Ahhh that is adorable! Love LOVE LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just gorgeous!! So elegant - feminine and understated! Totally love the clever take on a tuxedo! And the addition of the Charlotte skirt makes for some big time sassitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sasstitude - I am so stealing that! x

      Delete
  12. oh wow - the dress is FrankenFAB and you look gorgeous. so chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soon-to-be-mumma! FrankenFAB is super cool :D

      Delete
  13. Wow! I always thought the macaroon was cute, with emphasis on Cute. Your version brings the va-va-voom and makes it into a W.O.M.A.N.'s dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is one helluva nice compliment - I'm taking it! Thanks Isaspacey :D

      Delete
  14. That's so elegant! While still making the *mostest* of your curves. That's a pretty neat trick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! The fit looks incredible; the extra time you put into drafting really shows. I also really like that you were inspired by tuxedos - what a cool way to combine menswear inspiration into a dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan! I admit I'm falling more in love with menswear every day, so I won't be surprised if it keeps sneaking into my sewing x

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous dress! And, I'm excited to go shopping at Fabric Worm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo, congratulations Amy! And thank you :D

      Delete
  17. Oh my gawd Reana, THIS IS STUNNING! Stunning I tell you! I love your tux inspiration and the back detail is just divine! I also love the sleeker silhouette on you...you totally have the body to rock this! You are so hawt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you! YOUR dress has me so damn excited for Spring! :D

      Delete
  18. Hot stuff! I wasn't sold on the macaron but this version is pretty sweet. Good work lady.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG - as I already said last night - this is one sleek dress Reana! And I personally love the tuxedo back - definitely an interesting detail that I would never have thought of. And, I love the sheer yolk - you look a-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen you are the sweetest - thank you! Looking forward to a piccy of you reunited with the kitties soon ;)

      Delete
  20. So beautiful! It made me feel so special that you *made* a dress for our wedding, and you simply looked stunning! My favourite part is that beautiful back, and the sweetheart neckline. Divine! So much love for you and this dress! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was kinda planning on the bride running away with me like some kind of Graduate ending, but alas it didn't work that way ;) xx

      Delete
  21. Your dress is AMAZING!!!!! Wow! What a talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Also, I love those Iris shorts you recently made. Incredible! x

      Delete
  22. The back detail is amazing! I would never think of making a sexy Macaron but you did and it's incredible. The fit is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fit is definitely helped by the miscellaneous stretch fabric - but thank you Amy! So much fun doing this challenge with you lovely ladies x

      Delete
  23. Slinky! I like the fabrics - the dotty and the sheer - it's a nice combination.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! I'm glad I didn't go the more patterned route (that I always do!) as I think this is a bit more wearable :)

      Delete
  24. I love this! I think the feminine tuxedo idea works brilliantly. This is definitely one of my favourites of the Macarons! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Replies
    1. Hahahaha it's going to be hella awkward when I rock up on your doorstop with some bling in my hand. It's too late Heather! You put it in writing! Mwahahaha (evil laugh).

      Delete
  26. Arrested Development joke aside, HOLY FUCKBALLS WOMAN! AYE AYE AYE! Syuch a mega bae it hurts my feelings. Love the cut o fthis and that sheer yoke with the folded back is just brilliant. High fives all around tuxedo lady.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Va. VA. VOOOOOM DIGGETY VOOOOOOM! holy cow curves! this is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby got back! And a thing for custard ;)

      Delete
  28. Wow! The fit on this is awesome. Looks so well made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I'm getting better at taking my time. One day I'll do a french seam without grumbling about it haha :)

      Delete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. GodDAMN what a beautiful union this is!! Super wiggly and elegant. What shall we call this lovechild; Macarlotte, Chacaron...? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh Chacaron! It sounds like a fun musical instrument that is related to the Macara. Yes! The Chacaron! Thanks for making such a kick ass pattern ;) x

      Delete
  31. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! FABULOUS! I absolutely love love love love love it! You're killin' it, girl! LET ME SAY THIS: you have the best butt in bloggyland. THERE. I said it, and I dare anyone to disagree with me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful - it looks fabulous, and you look hot in it (not in a creepy way I promise).
    I love how you have stopped the dress from looking like a dress over a t-shirt. I have owned this pattern for ages and it is still in its plastic for that reason...wish I knew why I bought it. You have helped convince me it can be done well!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. AMAZING!! I think this might be my fave.... I love the back too. Amaze-balls

    ReplyDelete
  34. absolutely love your version - esp the back!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really beautiful, LOVE what you did with the back!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just had to pop in and say how much I love this dress! I LOVE the back and personally I think it's a really cool feature!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x