THE WWCD DRESS


I know what you're thinking:

"Reana Louise, a beautiful garment made from a non eye-searing coloured or patterned fabric? Has some stylish alien invaded your body and taken over your sewing choices?"

Well, close. 


A few weeks ago Sewing Superstars Oona and Heather announced their Sew Bossy Initiative. Basically you gather your fabric, your pattern, your supplies... and you send it to someone else. And they send you their pattern and sewing supplies. 

I was smitten with the idea but too nervous to approach anyone. Thankfully Heather, in her mind-reading glory, released a fantasy draft pick teaming up me with Carolyn


If you haven't met Carolyn yet I can tell you she is stylish, sweet, super productive, and my new best bud (not that she knows it). She sent me the loveliest package and card and pre-washed-my-fabric. See? Best bud material. 


She even stitched the edge of the fabric pre washing.  

Shit. 

Sweet? Yes

Obvious evidence of me punching above my sewing weight? Hell yes.  

So I decided to ditch my usual corner cutting and channel my inner Carolyn to create the "What Would Carolyn Do? dress". I finished all my seams, I pressed when I was supposed to, and I fitted as I went. And guys, honestly, it is all cool beans. 


I love the outcome and flat-felled my seams, which are the closest thing to wearing your clothes inside out to show off your seams without actually wearing your clothes inside out and looking a bit crazy. I used Sunni's tutorial and I loooove them.


Also, I just want to donate my little 2 cents about Japanese pattern books as they have been making the blogosphere rounds and getting a bit of heat for being shapeless or unnattractive. Some days I, personally, don't want to wear tight fitting clothes, and a beautifully made sack dress is a helluva lot more stylish than flannel bed pants which I may or may not have worn to the shops before. (Hint: I have. Repeatedly).


So, if you are considering doing the Sew Bossy challenge and need that little extra motivation: do it do it do it! I am so happy I pushed myself out of my usual sewing bubble. Sure patterned fabrics are cool but I'm already realising (thanks Me-Made-May) that I need a few more solids, or 'cake' as Tasia would say. This is total vanilla bean pound cake, and I flippin' love vanilla-bean pound cake.

And finally, THANK YOU CAROLYN for doing this challenge with me!


The deets
The pattern: Dress "C" from the Stylish Dress Book by Yoshiko Tsukiori (the same book that my smug yellow bricks dress is from)
Fabric: Inky blue linen, picked by Carolyn
Notions: None
Changes: I cut out the pockets but decided not to add them as they looked a bit 'kiddish'
Next time: No changes, I love it
Worn with: Itchy legs from that grass.

Also, a silly pose. Just because you might need a giggle today xx

27 love notes:

  1. Great dress! I have this book but haven't made anything from it yet, I think I've been put off by the whole shapeless thing. This looks beautiful on you though, I think I might need one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Bella! I've made 2 patterns so far and they really are so damn comfy :)

      Delete
  2. I think i need that dress.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, love the colour, love the fit, love the pattern.. loooveeeee it

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is just SO COOL to see puppetmasters at work! i love what y'all picked for each other. and it really does make you want to do every little bit perfect when you're partnered with a sewist. the dress is really beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I've never made such a neat garment--it's crazy. And thank you for putting on such a killer sewing challenge Oona! x

      Delete
  5. Amazing! I absolutely love this dress. This is why I love this sew bossy idea. It pushes us out of our comfort zones and gets us thinking differently. I'm taking part and have to send my package out this week. I can't wait to see what comes my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, I can't wait to see who you're teamed up with! :D

      Delete
  6. Reana, you look so chic! I knew you would look tres gorgeous in this! And I like how you've lengthened it a bit for winter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Well, you picked so well how could I go wrong? ;)

      Delete
  7. It looks great. I love the pleats at the front. Ha, I pretty much exclusively sew with eye-searing patterned fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, just one of the reasons I love your designs! :)

      Delete
  8. I love it. I reckon it would have been tough going up against Carolyn but it seems everyone's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! I know, who can go wrong with getting teamed up with her?!

      Delete
  9. This is so gorgeous, and so with you on the sometimes you need a comfy dress thing. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honigdesign! There's one comfy day dress a week, minimum!

      Delete
  10. BWA HA HA! EVIL PLANS COME TO FRUITION! Simply love this. You are so right about just wanting easy breezy dresses to throw on (monthly pms bloat, amiright?) I actually quite like the shape of this, especially as it flares out. And that linen looks so lovely. Of course Carolyn sent linen. That woman needs to be the Official Face of Linen. So happy it worked out for you two! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha you are hilarious! Have you seen Elisalex's post on PMS sewing? I feel like this dress was MADE for that! That and happiness. And I wish I could show you the fabric in person: dee-lish-us.

      http://stitchmesoftly.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/pre-menstrual-sewing-plans.html

      Delete
  11. So cute! And the dress looks super comfy. I made a dress from Christine Haynes' Patterns and it has a looser fit also. I wear it ALL THE TIME because it is the most comfortable dress ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looser fitting clothes FTW! Love her patterns! x

      Delete
  12. Cute dress and yay for some cake! I need some more cake in my life, too. I like my clothes more fitted, but I totally also know what you mean about wanting loose fitting clothes, too. I need to make more of those as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has definitely inspired me for a little cake fest, AND to eat some real life cake :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, wow, this is a stunner! I love this deep color on you! It's so beautifully sewn! Great job, girl! That Carolyn is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x