THE TUTTI FRUTTI LAUREL

^ piping ^
^ in-seam pockets ^

When Colette Patterns first announced the Laurel Sewing Competition my mind exploded with ideas: pockets, panels, piping, lace inserts, 60s shifts and more. I'd been looking for a good shift dress pattern and along came this delicious design with a side of insanely-good-prize-motivation.

Then... I signed up for me-made-may and got a job, so my excess time evaporated and my need for staple items began to outweigh my desire to wear crazy panelled dresses. Instead, I opted for a tutti-frutti coloured Laurel with contrasting piping and pockets. Add a cute blazer and you've got yourself a casual friday outfit. BAM! That's one me-made day done yo.

So it's not the competition entry it could have been but at least it meets the criteria unlike, ahem, a certain megan dress that shall not be discussed. So that's an improvement, right?

Also, it's 'Autumn' and the sun is shining and I'm wearing a short dress. If you ever wanted an excuse to visit Brisbane, please see above.

The deets
The pattern: Colette Laurel
Fabric: Cotton (both floral and blue fabrics)
Notions: None
Changes: Moved bust darts, removed the zip, lengthened the back by 1cm, added piping bias tape on the neck and arms (I used Casey's tutorial), and added in-seam pockets
Next time: After wearing this dress every day for a week a few times, I think it could do with a little extra room over the d├ęcolletage
Worn with: Sunshine, bitches.

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Such beautiful fabric! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your version! good call on the piping, adds such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! the piping is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we are having the best weather here in Brisbane we have had all year, I think this lovely Laurel of yours is perfect for it. You have done a great job of the piping; it really finishes the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this is so, so cute! Are you sure you can't enter it for any of the comp categories? I'll vote for it ;o) I visited Brisbane for a couple of days when I went traveling after uni...love the city! It's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been here Marie? Come again! Come again!

      Delete
  6. i love the surprise pockets! hidden fabric is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is so perfectly cute! Love the lining and pockets ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we all know sunshine is the best accessory! ha. Love this style on you, and a wee bit of polka dot piping and hidey-hidey details will always win my heart. Smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the print. So summery and fun. Hasn't the weather been awesome lately. Thank god for no rain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh I love it. Love the piping in spots it's so so cool. Good call on the lengthening of the back - I think if I ever make another I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty tall but that 1cm made a huge difference!

      Delete
  11. So pretty, and perfect for walking in the sunshine! Love the polka dot touches too. Btw, I've finished my dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! It's so summery and cheerful! Love it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! Love the fabric that you used!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh cuteness! You and it are adorable. Gorgeous print and colors in that fabric...and hey I recognize that city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! Except karma kicked me in the ass and today was cool and cloudy. Winter is so on it's way! In other news, I might be taking a sneaky Friday lunch trip to a certain Fabric Store if I can! Hope to see you if I do :) x

      Delete
  15. Cute! That fabric is lovely, and I love the pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so pretty. I love the piping and matching pockets. You're making me want to make a Laurel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous love it! who doesn't love pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so cute! i'd vote for you! do we get to vote? i forget how they're judging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, that's really sweet! I think there's one popular category that everyone votes on but I honestly think there are so many nicer ones! I just posted about a few of my favourites if you want to check it out :D x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x