THE JENNA SKIRT


The Charlotte skirt is back, bitches!

This skirt is my homage to Jenna from the movie 13 going on 30. If you haven't seen it, it's about a girl called Jenna (Jennifer Garner) who, on her 13th birthday, makes a wish to be '30, flirty, and thriving' and then abracadabra turns into a 30 year old. Cue bright clothing, moral lessons, and Pat Benatar (love is a battle field, whoaoaoaoaoaoaoaooooooh!)

Two side notes. I always thought 30 was an odd age for a 13 year old to want to be. Now that I'm nearing 30 I realise how young it is, but 13 year old me thought 30 meant middle aged, kids, and aprons.

Secondly if you, like me, grew up in the 80s do you think you could appropriate new styles so quickly? And fabulously? Not me. You would have had to pry a scrunchie from my cold, dead, 30-but-really-13-year old hands. It was off-centre pony tail in scrunch and double denim or DIE. 


Aaaah, the memories. 

Ok, the deets!
Pattern: Charlotte Skirt by By Hand London
Silk: That amazing houndstooth is silk (which I got on sale, woohoo!) and the waistband is linen. Because the silk is a very, very loose weave I interfaced the entire skirt with fusible interfacing.
Notions: Snaps for the waistband and a regular zip
Changes: I used a regular zip instead of an invisible zip because I like them, cut quite a bit off the length, and also changed the seam allowance to 1cm instead of 1.5cm because unlike the material I used last time this silk has zero stretch.
Worn with: A FCUK dress worn as a shirt.

22 comments:

  1. Love this! Damn! I really want one of these skirts... but I want it to look on ME the way it looks on YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love the colour combo of that houndstooth. Very cool. My sister in law is having an 80s party for her birthday next year and I'm so excited. I love dress ups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah awesome, I totally bought this skirt because of your versions.. I need to get on it.
    Also you should totally rock the double denim again.. killing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks amazing on you!!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it would appear that Charlotte loves you back! You look amazing, for real! And I love how much philosophical thought you put into the meaning of the movie ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous gal in a gorgeous skirt! Lov'n the styling too, you should definitely wear lots of stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is ridiculously awesome. I want it bad. Almost as bad as I want your sisters 'go get em' in denim' outfit. Which is ALOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog, and am basically smitten. Love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are the cutest child. you are also too gorgeous in that skirt.
    STOP IT.
    I said STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That fabric is amazing and perfect for a Charlotte skirt!
    You wear it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. stop it now. this is amazing. please can you adopt me (and make my clothes)?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very very cute :) And I love that film!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gaaawd I love that fabric, and the print matching is *awesome*. Love the 80s kid pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love! Such a great print! I have my Charlotte all cute up but my serger is on the fritz and the wool is way too loosey goosey to just pink....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This skirt is too cute I love the colours!! These patterns are awesome where did you get your hands on them in Brissy or did you buy them online? Such a pretty outfit looks gorgeous on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, Love and more Love. Such a WIN! Great colours on you, and yep - 30 is totally young, right? I'm gunna hit that milestone later this year, and the closer I get, the more okay I am with the idea. 30 over 13 anyday, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah man, firstly, how cute is 13 year old you?? And secondly, how HAWT is going on 30 you?! You break off a piece of my heart with everything you make girl. The combo of the pink and yellow houndstooth silk (can't believe that's silk!) with the denim-y linen worn with a monochrome stripey top that's actually a dress may as well have been from one of my outfit dreams. You look amazing. And I feel so damn proud to have had a part in that pattern. Oh, and the print matching at the centre back? Beyond perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw thank you for noticing my matching! This is why I need stitchers in my life, to appreciate those small things hahaha xo

      Delete
  18. This pattern was clearly made for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your skirt is adorable!!! I just LOVE those mix of patterns and colours. You have the most gorgeous eye for details :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x