THE MEH BLOUSE


Wow, look at that face. How have I not yet been scouted for Australia's Next Top Model? One of this world's greatest mysteries I suppose... 

But seriously I considered just posting that picture--no words, no review--because it really says it all. I don't count this blouse as a total failure (I'll still wear it), but it's just... meh. Let me make clear that the 'meh-ness' is entirely my fault; it has everything to do with my fabric choice (too heavy, too synthetic) and nothing to do with the pattern (which I love). What should be a relaxed, flowy blouse is instead:


Again, model scouts are you seeing this? What about ex-boyfriends? Future employers? 


Ok let's get into the specifics: 
Pattern: Project Runway's Pussy Bow Blouse. Great fit, great instructions. The only thing I couldn't figure out was the sleeve placket which I've never done before, so I just used some bias tape. 
Fabric: I've been there, let's move on. I hate synthetic fabric. 
Notions: Look at my buttons! Aren't they cutie patootie? They're from the equally cutie patootie Marie (thanks Marie!)
Changes: I cut a larger size in the hips and length
Next time: Oh yes, there will be a next time. I might give even more ease in the hips (this seems a common issue) and maybe a touch in the shoulders. I will also use a fabric that wasn't woven in the depths of hell. 
Worn with: My end of the world skirt, which is the opposite of meh. 

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's not the best fabric... a little John Travolta in that fever movie. But the colour on you is beautiful and the pattern looks interesting. Live and learn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD IT'S JOHN TRAVOLTA! That's EXACTLY what it is! Nailed it.

      Delete
  2. the colour is gorgeous, but ya, the fabric is not the greatest. but the pattern looks worth trying again (it's in my loooooong list of to-sews).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude my to-sew list is out of control, and it just seems to keep growing!

      Delete
  3. You can think of it as a wearable muslin :) I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what it has become--at least the synthetic fabric will keep me warm in winter :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh, the buttons look so cute on this blouse...such a shame you only feel 'meh' about it. If it makes a difference I think it looks lovely and you rock that colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! The buttons definitely upgraded this blouse from 'groan' for me--i really love them! xx

      Delete
  5. Ha ha those first two photos are the best thing I've ever seen on your blog! I love the buttons. Very cute! Just count this one as a muslin for your next version which I'm sure will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, I'm glad you got a giggle out of them! :) And I'm already planning my next one...

      Delete
  6. Colour: amazing! Your face and hair: amazing! Polyester in Brisbane ain't the greatest, but I agree with all these lovely commenters that it's a great pattern :) some of my favourite photos so far! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, boo, sorry you're not happy with this. At the very least, you've got in some good practice for your next go-round with this pattern. And it is a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lolllll you are a funny lady. Love your write up, equally as much as your 'meh' pics. I really am looking forward to seeing the next one...great colour though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this blouse. My mum brought me up wearing loose clothing, so this to me is fabulous. I'm just learning to wear fitted clothes. I love the colour and texture of the fabric. Also cos I am really slim, I cover up by wear not too tight things. One man's love is another man's hate I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x