THE KATE DRESS

A.K.A the dress that nearly broke me.

Anyone who used to read Curves knows I try to keep things pretty positive on my blog. I want this to be an uplifting space that celebrates creativity and our unique body shapes. But let's be honest, sometimes a sewing project turns into a cluster fuck of emotional turbulence from hell, and that's Ok.

 


Reader, meet my cluster fuck. I'm happy with the outcome but the creation of it nearly had me in tears, rocking in the corner of a room, and nursing a glass of port chanting "Liberty fabric. Liberty fabric."

The fabric is Liberty of London (swoon) that was given to me by the lovely, intelligent Kate. The google-sphere (you guys!) told me Liberty was a dream to sew with--which it is--but scared of wasting it I went for a 'fail-proof' project choosing a Burdastyle bodice and the Burdastyle Jenny skirt; both garments I've sewn before with success.

So what went wrong?

I. Have. No. Fecking. Idea.


First the darts wouldn't match up and then the waist was completely lopsided (over 3 centimetres) and the zip got stuck and the skirt sides didn't meet then I spent hours unpicking stitches and let's not even talk about when my overlocker chewed the bottom 14 centimetres of the skirt.

No, let's not discuss any of that.

Let's just be grateful for port, seam rippers, Liberty fabric, boyfriends that help you pin a hem, giant leaves, and cluster fucks that turn out rather pretty.

What was your most frustrating project? Did you soldier on, or throw in the towel?

16 love notes:

  1. Oh dear I am so sorry that you had such a trying experience with your first Liberty project! It looks divine on you thought, so be pleased with that.

    I had a vintage wrap dress pattern that I tried to make earlier this year. It was a complete disaster. The fit was out of control and there were darts flying in places there should never be. I salvaged what fabric I could then through the monster away. I haven't made a Liberty project yet that hasn't worked out well (touch wood) but can imagine the pain of a difficult/failed project would be all the more deep when it is made from that beautiful Tana Lawn.

    Pull that leaf away and stand proud. For a project that by the description most people would cut up in a sewers rage, you persevered and have such a lovely dress to show for it.

    Bravo! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for sharing Sam! Honestly if this wasn't beautiful Liberty I would have chucked it a while ago, but now I know the fruits that can come out of persistence! :)

      Delete
  2. The Reana blog has returned! I thought it was all gone! I'm so happy it's back! And the dress looks lovely in person AND in picture!

    Too many exclamation marks.

    My clusterfuck hypothesis: liberty fabric slightly tainted by Lilley association. Talk to my mum about sewing in our household sometime... Need ribbons on ballet shoes? A button? I'm your girl! Anything else...off to grandma's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I refuse to blame the house of Lilley! x

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. Sometimes it's amazing how a little piece of fabric can bring you close to tears. I usually find that it's with the projects I think are going to be easy. If it's any consolation, it looks fabulous. The fabric is so prety. Also, your hair is looking gooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It IS the patterns you think are going to be easy. Is that because you're lazy about it? Maybe I was lazy.... Thanks! :) x

      Delete
  4. I adore your new hair! And gorgeous dress, well done for persevering xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks H :D Some days I feel 60s & sassy, some days I feel boy wood elf. Ps. I see you soon x

      Delete
  5. This is so beautiful! What lovely colors! I'm so glad you were able to stick it out-- now you've got such a gorgeous dress! I'm so glad to find your new blog (and I LOVE your new haircut)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah thanks Sonja! I'm glad you found me too :) x

      Delete
  6. Oh no, sorry you had such an awful time with this dress. But it's so beautiful, well done for having the patience to continue! I'm also loving your cute haircut and it goes without saying that I'm super happy to see you back and blogging!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! By the way I'm sooooooo jealous of your little meet up the other day; It looked like such fun! Damn this ocean between us! x

      Delete
  7. I love your dresses, everything you make is adorable. So glad you are back Reana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan Nielsen's Darling Ranges was the pattern that almost broke me. After 4 (or was it 5?) muslins I figured out all I had to do was grade up the pattern a couple of sizes and move the darts! I kept forgetting to move the darts. Duh :)

    But yes, thank goodnes for helpful partners and seam rippers. They really help a person from going batty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And the dress looks fab. I wouldn't be able to tell that you had issues at all. Again, thank goodness for seam rippers.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x